Historical, scientific, artistic, or cultural interest are stored and exhibited at the museums in Belmont County. Glassware, community artifacts, and underground railroad information are just a few items that you will view at the sites.
Come and see the home of the world's largest private LEGO collection!
4597 Noble St.
Bellaire OH, 43906
The Great Western Schoolhouse was built in 1870 along the then-developing National Road, west of St. Clairsville, Ohio. The schoolhouse is a traditional one room schoolhouse and was used until 1952. The building is currently used as a museum highlighting early education in southeastern Ohio and is open by appointment.
The school is located five miles west of the Belmont County Courthouse in St. Clairsville on the north side of the National Road. Visitors traveling on I-70 would use Exit 213 and follow Rt. # 40 West to Ohio University's Eastern Campus.
The plain federal style brick building seats 1,500. Built in 1878 to house the Ohio Yearly Meeting of Conservative Friends. The building contains a Quaker Heritage Museum. Open by appointment.
61826 Sandy Ridge Rd, Barnesville, OH 43713
(off Rt. 147, east of town)
Dedicated to preserving the history of the Imperial Glass Corp, paying tribute to its employees, educating the public and providing research opportunities, NIGM is a “must visit” for glass enthusiasts. Imperial was one of the largest handcrafted glass companies in America and was located at Imperial Plaza on Belmont St. See Imperial (Candlewick, Cape Cod, carnival, milk glass, slag & more). April thru Oct. Thurs- Sat 11-3 or by appt. for groups. Admission. Gift Shop. Handicapped accessible.
3200 Belmont Street
Bellaire, OH 43906
(St. Rt. 7 to 26th St. exit. North on Belmont St. to 32nd.)
The Belmont County Military Veterans Museum is the home of artifacts and history pertaining to the service provided by veterans from Belmont County.
101 E Barrister St
Belmont, OH 43718
Contains materials pertaining to the area in and surrounding Martins Ferry. The town had its inception in 1787 when the ground upon which the city is located was purchased by Captain Absalom Martin, one of the surveyors of the Seven Ranges of the Northwest Territory. Absalom started operating a ferry in 1789. Thus the name Martins Ferry. In 1835, his son, Ebenezer, platted and laid out the town. Open by appointment. Admission.
627 Hanover Street
Martins Ferry, OH 43935
740-633-3430 or 740-859-3013
This 1880’s former Sheriff’s Residence is a museum to the county. Once housing each sheriff and his family, it is now home to artifacts and pictures telling the history of the many communities throughout Belmont County.
View historical items, photos, and documents from different communities in Belmont County; learn about the development of our towns from their beginnings.
101 E. Main Street
St Clairsville, OH 43950
Features an extensive collection of publications, books, memorabilia and other articles. The exhibits portray what is known about slavery and the underground railroad in Ohio, and presents an understanding of the culture in the 1800’s. Open by appointment. Donations appreciated.
121 High Street
Flushing, OH 43977
740-968-2080 or 740-968-6113
Award winning and built in the 1800’s is this 26-room mansion of elegance. Superbly carved oak fretwork, butternut and hand-carved wood mantels are just a few of the finely crafted features inside.
532 N Chestnut St.
Barnesville, Ohio 43713
The original office building of the Watt Car and Wheel Company. Exhibits including coal history, business, industry and agriculture. Donations appreciated. Open May–Sept. by appointment.
400 North Street
Barnesville, OH 43713
Rt. 800 S., left at first light onto Church St. to Mulberry St. intersects with Watt Ave., turn left.