This two-county tour includes stops in both Belmont and Guernsey counties. Points of Interest in Belmont County include stops in Bridgeport, Lansing, , Blaine, St. Clarisville, Lloydsville, Belmont, Morristown, Hendrysburg, and Fairview. Historic National Road 40, “The Road That Built America” begins at Bridgeport and runs 28.5 miles to the western edge of the county at Fairview. It intersects with State Route 7 which is part of the Ohio River Scenic Byway, another National Scenic Byway.
1. National Road Gateway to the West Sign
2. Attic Pickers— 201 Main St., Bridgeport, OH 43912 (304) 615-3684 Furniture, antiques, unique gifts, collectables and more.
3. Fat Apple & The Skyliner— 225 Main St. Bridgeport. The Fat Apple is a chocolate shop, bakery and candy store (740) 298-6770. The Skyliner is a performance and event venue (740) 338-7902.
4. Vino Di Piccin Winery & Tasting House— 55155 National Rd., Lansing, OH 43934. (740) 738-0261. Vino di Piccin Winery & Tasting House is a family-owned winery in Lansing.
5. 1828 Blaine Hill “S” Bridge— Pasko Road Bridgeport, OH 43912. Enjoy your walk on Ohio’s Official Bicentennial Bridge and Ohio’s oldest bridge and longest “S” bridge.
6. Ebbert Farm Market and The Market at Ebbert’s— 68101 Ebbert N Rd, St Clairsville, OH 43950. Ebbert Farm Market is a third-generation family farm, located between State Route 40 and Interstate 70 near St. Clairsville, Ohio, between Exits 218 and 220. Hours vary by season. Call (740) 695-5619. The Market is a wedding and event venue that seats up to 300 people and offers DJ/Emcee services. Call 740-312-8248 or email email@example.com.
7. Kirke’s Homemade Ice Cream- 50525 Rehm Rd, St Clairsville, OH 43950. (740) 695-9198. In business since Aug. 12 1992. They have 40 flavors of ice cream. Closed November- March, but you can pick up a half gallon from nearby Porterfield’s Drive Thru.
8. Downtown St. Clairsville, National Register Historic District. A walking tour brochure is available at the City building, located at Main and North Market streets. Historic buildings on Main Street include the Benjamin Lundy House and the Claredon Hotel. The National Road Historic Marker is located in front of the county courthouse and there are two interpretive signs on main street.
9. Belmont County Heritage Museum/ Courthouse— 101 E. Main St., St Clairsville, OH 43950. Call (740) 695-4359 for hours. The Victorian Romanesque architectural style building was designed by noted architect Joseph Warren Yost, and matches the style of the attached jail and the adjacent Belmont County Courthouse, both of which he also designed. The structure, fully restored to its historical significance, now houses the county’s past. In addition to displays about the county’s sheriff’s, each room houses displays from the county’s communities representing their industries, landmarks, and important historical figures.
10. Three Labs Salvage— 142 W. Main St. , St. Clairsville, OH 43950. (740) 359-1255. A historical and beautifully curated space filled with vintage stock, art, furniture made from salvaged materials, lighting and unique items for your home!
11 . Shaeffer Campbell Covered Bridge- West of St. Clairsville at Ohio University Eastern Campus, St. Clairsville, OH 43950. The bridge stands east of the Ohio University Eastern Campus, I-70 Exit 213, overlooking a pond. It was originally built in 1891 in Fairfield County and rescued from destruction in the late 1960’s. It was reconstructed on the present site in 1975.
12. Great Western School House— The Great Western School, located just west of St. Clairsville in Belmont County on Ohio University’ Eastern Campus, was built in 1870 by the Clark Construction Company. The bricks for the school were hand-kilned from clay taken from the banks of the farm pond located at the bottom of the hill from the school. 2020 marks the school’s 150th anniversary.
13. Lloydsville Road Segment– A short distance west of the schoolhouse, the old National Road diverges to the left and into Lloydsville, another Pike town. After leaving 40, you will cross a stone bridge. Continue through town, turn left and return to U.S. 40, passing the Valleyview Campground’s Guitar Quilt Barn and site of the July Blame My Roots Country Music Festival.
14. Route 40 Lumberjaxe– 41761 National Rd., Belmont, OH 43718. Ohio Valley’s first axe throwing and recreation venue. Call 740-782-1707 for hours and reservations.
15. The Pike 40— 41010 National Rd., Belmont. Located in an original Pike 40 roadhouse just outside of historic Morristown, Ohio, the Pike 40 celebrates the local cuisine of the Ohio Valley. There is ample parking and groups are welcome. Handicap accessible. Hours T-Th, 11 –9; Fr—Sat., 11-10. Closed Mon. & Sun. www.pike40.com
16. Morristown Historic District— Older than the state of Ohio itself, Jonathan Zane and William Chapline laid out the village of Morristown, Ohio on April 14, 1802 , providing a new settlement for those willing to carve out a new way of life in the wilderness. Morristown is named for Duncan Morrison, an early Justice of the Peace who operated a tavern in 1807 that would later become the Black Horse Inn. Morristown is one of the best preserved examples of a National Pike Town. Download the Historic Morristown Walking Tour at https://www.morristownohio.org/preservation-association
17. Black Horse Inn— 203 Cross St. Morristown, OH 43759 There are many historically significant buildings in Morristown, yet one stands above the others – the Black Horse Inn. Restoration efforts are ongoing of one of the last remaining National Road inns and taverns.
18. Egypt Valley Wildlife Area— This 14,300-acre public hunting and fishing area is managed by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Its southern border lies along U.S. 40 between Morristown and the Guernsey County line.
19. Hendrysburg- Old Road Segment located on Kirkwood Twp. Rd. Founded in 1828, Hendrysburg is the birthplace of actor William Boyd who played serial cowboy hero Hopalong Cassidy.
20. Pennyroyal Opera House— 139 Fair Ave., Fairview, OH 43773. “The place where Bluegrass happens”, the Opera House dates back to the 1830's where it was first occupied as a Church. When the congregation moved to a new building, the Grange organization took over the structure. Today, the Opera House has undergone much restoration and draws crowds to enjoy Live Bluegrass Music. https://www.pennyroyalbluegrass.com/